July 26, 1924 - July 31, 1924
Dixon, Illinois - Niagara Falls, New York
740 mile

July 26, 1924 

Dixon, Illinois to Chicago Heights, Illinois 

140 miles 

I left Dixon, Illinois about 11:00 a.m. and had good roads except for two detours. I went past Mooseheart, Illinois - the Moose home - and it is a pretty place. I called at the Post Office here and got a lot of letters. Motor running fine. I am camping tonight. 

July 27, 1924 

Chicago Heights, Illinois to South Bend, Indiana 

90 miles 

I left Chicago Heights about 11:00 a.m. on the Lincoln Highway and had good paved roads except for a detour of 15 miles that was sandy and rough. I only ran 4 hours today as from now [on] I have plenty of time if my motor keeps running as it is now. I am going to be at Niagara Falls by August 7 to meet Pop and Ma. I am camping tonight. 

July, 28, 1924 

South Bend, Indiana to Edgerton, Ohio 

95 miles 

I left South Bend at noon after being in the rain most all night. I was in a tent but got a little wet. The road was all paved except 40 miles of good gravel roads from the Lincoln Highway north to the Ohio line. I am camping out tonight. 

July 29, 1924 

Edgerton, Ohio to Toledo, Ohio 

105 miles 

I left Edgerton about 8:30 a.m. and had good paved roads all the way here. I stopped a while at the Y.M.C.A. and took a swim and workout in the gym, and then went up to a resort on Lake Erie and stayed a while. I am camping a little north of Toledo tonight. 

July 30, 1924 

Toledo, Ohio to Erie, Pennsylvania 

200 miles 

I left Toledo early after a night of rain and mud. The roads were fine all the way being paved with only two short detours. I arrived at Cleveland, Ohio about 4:00 p.m. and received a letter from Pop and Ma and I telegraphed them to meet me tomorrow at Niagara Falls. I am only about 100 miles from the Falls so I can easily make it in the morning if nothing happens. I am camping tonight. 

July 31, 1924 

Erie, Pennsylvania to Niagara Falls, New York 

110 miles 

I left Erie at 3:30 this morning and got here about 4:30 p.m. It rained continually all the way and made it very slippery and hard to ride. I took a spill near North East, Pennsylvania and hurt my back and did not break anything I don't think. I came here to [the] Y.M.C.A. and took a swim and feel better. It has been a tough day but my season is through. 

Copyright 2007, Kevin Jolly